Profile of the Department
The Post-Graduate Department of English, is first of its kind among the affiliated colleges of Andhra University and is also one of the three founding Departments in our college. It was started in the acadamic year 1989-90. With Dr. Ch.A.Rajendra Prasad as its Founding Head. At that time the services of the Senior Facuilty of the Graduate Department of English were also utilised. The Department got going in its year with a student strength of 24.
Subsequently, the Department was served by Late Sri,N,C.S.Rangachari (Ex-Head of the Department, Ex-Principal and a scholar of merit). He rendered yeomen services to the Department. During the period, Dr.Ms.K.Somalatha, a very resourceful teacher rendered good service to the Department. This service was for her ‘a spring board’ to enter portals of three Universities, Gulbarga, Padmavathi and Andhra Universities. While Dr. Ch. A. Rajendra Prasad was on lien , Ms. Sirisha rendered services to the Department.
By and the by the Department grew and blossomed with the pioneering efforts and wise counsels of the Professors of the Andhra University English Department. Prof. T. Ramesh Dutta, Prof. Ms. K. Lakshimi Devi, Prof. M.S.Rama Muthy and Prof. T. Viswanadha Rao were some of the stalwarts who encouraged the Department immensely. The Department also had much fillip from Prof. I.V. Chalapathi Rao, Editor, TRIVENI and Prof. E. Nageswara Rao, Retd. Prof. Osmania University, etc. The Department enjoyed the intellectual fellowship with Professors and Associate Professors of the parent Department like Prof. Nirupa Rani, Prof. T. Padma Dutta, a prolific scholar, Prof. J.P.N. Reddy, Dr. E. Joshe Babu, Dr. K. Solomon Raju, Prof. V.C. Sudheer (present Head of the Department) who served as Heads of the Departments of the Andhra University. So also the Department filliped by Associate Professors like Dr. P. Varalakshmi (Present M.L.A.) Dr. B.Parvathi, Dr.Sudipta, Dr. Jayaprada, Dr. Manjula Davidson, Dr.Karmarker and other faculty.
Today, the Department has evolved as full-fledged one with five permanent faculty. In recognition of the sound growth of the Department, the Andhra University has accorded permanent Affiliation in 1995.
- Name of the Department : Post Graduate Department of English
- Year of Establishment : 1989-1990
- Name of Programme / Course Offered: M.A. English Language and Literature
- Affiliating University : From 1989-2016: Andhra University:From 2016-Onwards Adikavi Nannaya University
- Batches Completed: 25 Batches
- Important Milestones of the Department:
- People Visited: Eminent Scholars and Professors from India and abroad like Prof. Michael Nagler, University of California, Berkely, U.S.A., Prof. Priya Narismulu, University of Kwazulu-Natal, Durban, South Africa, Prof. I.V. Chalapathi Rao, Editor, ‘Triveni’ Journal, Hyderabad, and Prof. T. Ramesh Datta, Andhra University, Waltair, visited the Department on various occasions like on Committees over the last 26 years. Most of them delivered Guest Lectures for our students.
- First PG Department of English to be started in an affiliated college in Andhra University and overall in the United Andhra Pradesh.
- Senior-most department in the present affiliating Adikavi Nannaya University area (including the University English Department).
- Celebrated its Silver Jubilee in January, 2016.
- Produced about 1100 Post-Graduates in English from 1990 to 2016
- Semester System: 4 Semesters (5 Papers in each Semester)
- Choice Based Credit System (CBCS) : Introduced from 2015-16 by Andhra University
Approved Intake of Students: 55 ::
- 40 By Counseling at Affiliating University, Based on Rank in AUCET(earlier); now AKNUCET
- 15 By Management Quota – Spot Admissions
Present Strenth: 1st Year: 23 + 2nd Year: 16 = Total 39
- Fee Particulars:(Self Financing Course)
- Through AUCET/AKNUCET Counseling: General Category: 1st Yr. Rs.14,500/- & 2nd Yr 12,000/-
- Through AUCET/AKNUCET Counseling: for SC, ST, BC & EBC: Rs.1800/- per year.
- For /un filled seats/Non-AUCET/AKNUCET candidates-without fee reimbursement or scholarshipassistance from Govt. – First come first serve basis – nominal fee only.
- Other University students are required to submit Migration certificate.
Highlights of the Faculty:
- Publications :
- Books Authored: (10) : Research Books (2); Text Books (4); Poetry Anthologies (4)
- Research Articles: (Over 50)
- Other Aricles: (Over 10)
- Seminar Papers Published: (12)
- Poems: (10)
- Seminars & Workshops : Over 100
- Conducted: (5)
- Participated: Over 100
- About 25 benefitted through our free consultancy/guidance given to teachers and Scholars and alumni in doing PGDTE. M.Phil. & Ph.D.
- Offering Services to Schools/Colleges when State Government workshops, etc. when bringing in educational reforms.
- Placements: Most of the students are getting placed in the teaching jobs in Government and Private Schools, Colleges and Universities.Some got jobs in Call Centres, Business Firms, Computer Programming, and various Vocational Institutions.
- Field Trips: Students are taken to historical and other places to develop their aesthetic sense and conceptual expansion and expression.
- Additional Responsibilities of Staff:
- Dr. K. Sushil Paul, (a) Head of the Department, (b) Convenor, NAAC Criterion-1
Innovations & Best Practices:
- English Language Laboratory
- Teaching through ICT
- Audio-Visual Aids and Multi-Media Packages
- Creative and Innovative Ieaching
- Regular Multiple Skills and Upskilling Sessions
- Honing Soft, Communication, Teaching and Creative Thinking, Creative Writing, Research Paper Writing and Project Writing Skills to develop global competencies
- Blending Personality Development, Gandhian Literature and Ideology with teaching of Literature
- Academic Packages/Synopsis
- Workshops on Communication /Soft Skills are conducted
- Add-on Course: “Certificate Course in Creative, Communication and Soft Skills”
- Students Paper Presentations in National /International SeminarsIX.
- English Club, Narsapur: The department conducts various activities like organizing Guest Talks, Creative Writing Competitions, Poetry Recitations, etc., in collaboration with the English Club, Narsapur.